Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review: Snuggy Baby Wetbag (Large)

When we cloth diapered my son, we only did it when it was convenient.  Whenever we left the house, we put him in disposable diapers.  Overnight?  Disposables.  Naptime?  You guessed it - disposables.  When we decided to cloth diaper our daughter, I wanted to be able to use them all the time.  I plan to put up a separate set of posts around the cloth diapers we use, so I won't get into those details now.  One of the things that makes cloth diapering outside of the home possible is a good wetbag.  It will allow you to carry home soiled diapers without having them leak or smell or otherwise contaminate your diaper bag or the things in it.  It's washable and reusable, so much better than a plastic bag.

I purchased two Snuggy Baby wetbags from one of the popular baby product deal sites (I can't remember which one, so I'm not going to name any of them here) quite some time ago.  We first used them for my son's swim lessons - the large size bag (14" wide x 17" tall) is the perfect size to hold his swim trunks, a towel, and my flip flops (bare feet on pool deck = ew, gross!).  Now that my daughter is here, I keep one in my diaper bag at all times to hold soiled diapers.

They come in three sizes - the Medium wetbag (12"x11"), the Large wetbag (14"x17"), and the XL hanging diaper pail (22"x28").  On Amazon the "Large" wetbag is named "XL Wet Bag" which is a touch confusing, but not Snuggy Baby's fault, I'm sure!  Just be aware of that if you intend to buy one.

The Snuggy Baby wetbags are made of 2 layers of fabric, cotton print (gorgeous!) on the outside, and white PUL on the inside (waterproof!).  They are sewn in such a way to make them completely waterproof.  The tops are zippered to ensure no messes can escape.  The Large size bags even have a nice 6" handle of sorts that can be snapped around something (doorknob, stroller handle, your wrist) which can be very handy (like when you're using it as a makeshift diaper pail while visiting Grandma).

The wetbags can be put in the wash with your diapers if needed, however I've found that since they are waterproof, a simple rinse of the inside layer, and then turning the bag inside out to dry, is sufficient to keep it clean & odor free.  I did wash the wetbag once and made the mistake of leaving the zipper open and turning it inside out... the pulling and agitating in my washer caused the outside cotton layer to separate from the zipper about 2"...  Thankfully this a) did not affect the bag's useability and b) was super easy to fix with my somewhat OK mending skills.  I would recommend if you are going to wash the bags in your top loading washer, that you do them on a delicate cycle, and not with the soak-wash-rinse-rinse process that the rest of your diapers go through.  I always line dry my wetbags, though the website says you can occasionally put them in the dryer without harming them.

I find the regular price on these wetbags to be quite high (considering you can get some cheap ones for under $10), however, they have a lot of beautiful prints to choose from, the snap-on handle is very convenient, and the size ranges they offer are good to cover just about every need you might have for a wetbag.  Now if you are lucky and can find them on a deal site, good for you!  Buy two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note, if you are entering a giveaway, commenting as Anonymous won't qualify you to win (since I need to be able to reach you if you're the winner). Otherwise, go nuts!